Malabar mutton biryani recipe
Let see how to Cook authentic tamil food Malabar mutton biryani recipe from scratch by following Step By Step instructions..
- -- For biryani rice --
- Basmati rice - 250 grams
- Ghee - 3 teaspoon (tsp.)
- Cardamom seed - 5 (not whole)
- Cinnamon stick - 6 (1/2 inch)
- Bay leaf - 1
- Curry leaves - a sprig
- Chopped onion - 1 cup
- Water - 1/2 liter
- -- For Marinating --
- Mutton - 1/2 kilogram
- Coriander leaves - 25 grams
- Mint leaves - 25 grams
- Curry leaves - 10 grams
- Green chili - 5
- Cumin seed - 1 teaspoon (tsp.)
- Chopped garlic - 2 teaspoon (tsp.)
- Chopped ginger - 2 teaspoon (tsp.)
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon (tsp.)
- Lemon juice - 1 teaspoon (tsp.)
- Poppy seed paste - 1 teaspoon (tsp.)
- Yogurt - 1/2 cup
- Coriander powder - 2 teaspoon (tsp.)
- Aniseed powder - 1/2 teaspoon (tsp.)
- -- For Masala -
- Ghee - 2 teaspoon (tsp.)
- Cinnamon - 5
- Bay leaf - 1
- Cloves - 4
- Cardamom - 4
- Nutmeg - 100 grams or as needed
- Tomato - 1
- Shredded onion - 1
- -- For Garnish --
- Sliced onion - 1 cup
- Cashew - 1/4 cup
- Raisins - 1/4 cup
- Take the mutton pieces in a bowl and add garlic, cloves, cinnamon, aniseeds, green chilies, turmeric powder, poppy-seed paste, chopped ginger, nutmeg, bay leaf, mint leaves, cumin seeds, cardamom, coriander powder, lime juice, curry leaves, yoghurt and salt. Mix well and keep it aside
- Prepare the Garnish:
- Roast the raisins, cashew separately in a teaspoon (tsp.) of ghee and keep it aside. In the same pan add the sliced onion and sauté the onion by adding salt as needed and keep it aside.
- Preparing mutton masala:
- Heat 3 teaspoon (tsp.) of ghee in a pan. add shredded onions and sauté until they become translucent. To this, add tomatoes and sauté until they become mushy. Now add the marinated mutton, stir and cook until the meat release all the water. Now add water as needed and cook the masala until it becomes thick and meat is cooked soft. NOTE: Masala should not be watery it should be thick enough to spread over rice in layers.
- Preparing Biryani Rice:
- In a vessel and melt 4 teaspoons (tbsp.) of ghee. add cloves, aniseeds, cinnamon, cumin seed powder and curry leaves and temper them.
- To this, add cardamom and onions and sauté until onion turns translucent (golden brown).
- Now add the basmati rice and sauté until they turn translucent.
- Add water (approximately 2.5 cups for 250 grams of rice or 1/2 liter) as needed, salt to taste and cook the rice. (HINT: for 1 cup of rice add 2 cups of water).
- Once the rice is cooked. From the vessel in which the rice is being prepared, remove a portion of the cooked rice into a bowl. Take some mutton pieces and place them on top of the remaining rice in the vessel. Add back the portion of the cooked rice removed into a bowl on top of the mutton pieces. Again add the remaining mutton pieces on top of this. (basically layer the rice and meat). Finally add cashew nuts, raisins and fried onions. Add some coriander leaves. Simmer and cook for a minute then serve.
- The hardest part is getting the masala thickness you will be come expert as you cook many times.
- Add chili or chili powder to your spice preference.